Our (God Willing) Travel Plans

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful

What we have seen on this around the world adventure is more than we could every put into words. For the most part it has been an amazing adventure filled with wild travel plans and enough forks in the road to usually keep us on our toes and leave boredom way behind.

As always it has been the people along the way that have enriched our time the most which I guess is one of the reasons I am now running a little out of steam spiritually. When all I have to think about is what’s next on our itinerary I easily slip into a self absorbed life that has me missing the mark on what’s most important. I remember C.S. Lewis saying something about how ‘it’s harder being close to God when traveling abroad’. I would agree with Mr. Lewis and add that when not surrounded by a purpose greater than one’s self it compounds the issue. Yes, I Have my family which is a great blessing and one that gives me a purpose, but it still lacks that greater sense of community that can drive us all closer to our Maker; all that to say I have been living too much for me. With God’s help I will look past my desires and wishes and see more clearly what He has for me in the days ahead.

Our last day in Dubrovnik was spent celebrating Meghan's Sweet 16th Birthday, which had us shopping and eating well into the night. In fact a large scoop of gelato ice cream (or two) was a part of everyday in this city. Needless to say Meghan and the rest of us had a great time.


Leaving Dubrovnik we piled into our rental diesel Fiat Punto and headed up the coast. As many of you know Cari is amazing in 99% of all that life throws at her, but maps and navigating would be her downfall. This allowed us to spend an extra hour on roads less traveled while I showed the kids what high blood pressure looks like. Just before nightfall we ended up in an overpriced city that we were too tired to explore and ready to call it a day.

The next day was another driving adventure due to several random roads, including their super-highway, closed for who knows what. I will say that by God’s grace Cari and I kept a smile on our faces and were able to use several back roads to finally get to our destination with enough time to explore some cool caves before dark.

Today was one of those days that your jaw drops as you find yourself surrounded by incredible beauty. We spent half the day hiking through the World Heritage site of Plitvice Lakes in central Croatia. This place is a Garden of Eden when it comes to waterfalls and lakes. I found myself thanking the Lord over and over for His beautiful creation. I only wish my pictures could somehow do this place justice.

Our family is doing well, but for the first time everyone is starting to get homesick which really means we miss our family and friends. Having said that we are still geared up for more adventures and God willing we will be in Slovenia tomorrow afternoon for 4 days.

-Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment